29 March 2009

Tea for two

Posted by Picasa

I decided it's all about having yummy things at home to keep me satisfied and entertained. Tonight I indulged my love of iced tea. The whole iced tea experience really hit me on my travels through South East Asia. Each country I visited had it's own style involving some kind of black tea, limes or lemons, ice and a healthy dose of sugar syrup. Don't even get me started on the iced coffees with sweetened condensed milk, oh and the pearl teas of Taiwan...... ahhh beverage heaven.

This one was pretty easy to make and is a great distraction when you're pacing the kitchen looking for something, anything.

Ingredients
1 tea bag
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon of honey
Fresh Mint leaves
Water

Steep the tea bag in 1/2 cup of boiling water until desired strength is achieved.
Add the lemon juice and honey, stir until honey dissolves.
Top up with cold water.
Add mint leaves- I find adding the fresh mint once the cold water is added prevents many of the tannins being released and keeps the tea tasting fresh and minty.
Add ice if desired and serve.

For this brew I used Manuka honey, which has strong antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties as well as being a great adjunct treatment of Helicobacter pylori. I don't bother straining the mint leaves, and usually chew on them as I drink the tea. Mint is great for digestion and soothes and relaxes the colon, being a great aid in alleviating IBS symptoms as well as nausea and vomiting.

There is much talk of the health benefits of green tea and it can be easily substitued for a milder flavor. Black tea, however, also has a myriad of health benefits including reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and lowering cholesterol absorption. Black tea also contains high levels of antioxidants.

I had a go at baking these delish yet healthy treats, and they turned out really well. Tea and cakeish type things, I'm feeling pretty stocked up for the week, prepared, ready to face the world.


"If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty"
Japanese proverb


3 comments:

  1. Oh your mint in tea reminds me of Morroco! They had enormous bunches of mint in the markets and every time I smell it, I go on a little trip back there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful when you're looking for something a little more interesting than water.

    ReplyDelete