15 August 2009

Progress pic, some goals and a pumpkin pie

OK, I know. You can't really SEE much of what's going on under all of my layers here, dontchya love layers :) But for me this is progress. If you look at the detail, I'm wearing a skirt, Yay! And said skirt is technically above the knee, double Yay! This is progress, people, outfits are getting more colorful, the smile is getting wider and that's how things are getting measured around here these days.

So the whole not having a job thing kinda sucks. I seem to be over my curl up on the couch and block out the sun phase and have moved on to..... hmmmmm now what? Last year I gave up my career as a cardiac nurse to pursue some stress free happiness, the art school job came along and was a perfect fit, I stopped searching aimlessly, and settled into a sort of routine. I felt like I had got somewhere, made some progress, but now it doesn't really feel like that because here I am back at square one.

I'm taking this as a hippy dippy sign from the universe that I wasn't quite on the right path, that I needed to have a little wander along to see if I was headed in the right direction, and while it was nice and sunny, it was not leading me to where I am destined to go, wherever that is!

No doubt something will happen, it always does. Meanwhile I thought I'd just focus a bit more on healthy living while I wait for that gold nugget to drop out of the sky and into my bank account.

The gorgeous Hanlie who is always such an inspiration, is extra so this month. Embarking on a month of raw foods, Hanlie's green smoothies and sprouting bonanzas have got me thinking more and more about about my diet, and I've decided it's time to cut the crap and ditch the sweeties.

I work really well with goals, but I also don't work too well with total restriction, so I've set myself some goals this week, that aren't too obsessive, have some planned exceptions but are still a challenge. In case you were wondering, here they are:

  • No processed sugar (except for two slices of pumpkin pie today, as part of the best pumpkin pie in the world competition, more on that later)
  • No processed foods (except for one bowl of ramen noodles)
  • Exercise daily
  • One Yoga class
So there you have it. I've been working on the no sugar, no processed foods, exercise daily goals for a while now, years in fact, and it feels good to be working on them all at the same time. For me I think it's important to keep in mind my long term food/life/fitness goals and keep chipping away at them consistently. I may not be a clean eating, yoga doing, muscle bearing machine as yet, but I'm taking steps towards the idea, and that is a start.

The Pumpkin Pie thing is a long story, one I plan to elaborate on further over at NinjaEats, but I'll tell you this, my dear friend Chicorolls and I have had a lot of trash talking going between us about who can bake the best pumpkin pie. Today we are going head to head in an attempt to out bake each other, the oven mitts are off and the spoons are out!

Happy weekend lovelies :)

11 comments:

  1. I love that picture! The colors are amazing and you look awesome!

    Wow! Thanks for finding me inspiring... there are days when I wonder why I blog, but when I see people take positive steps towards health, I remember that it's worth it.

    Those are great steps. Well done for having the courage to go for it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! You look sunny, happy, though with 'layers'! LOL...yes, I do love layers!

    Enough traveling this year?

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my fav. colour on: Purple. I always find this colour very mysterious and chic.
    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are looking great Berni! And is that Vibrams you are wearing? I really want to try these, I am just a real cheapskate when it comes to spending money on something I am not sure I will enjoy. Great goals for the week - I think that is a good idea.

    Good luck in the bake off. It sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look great, i love your outfit! :) sorry about the no job thing, i'm sure you'll find something perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanlie: A big thanks to you for blogging, your blog is always a total pleasure to read.

    Angie: I love purple too. There is a bit more traveling to be had this year, we're heading off to Japan next month for a few weeks, yay!

    Steve: Thanks :) Yup they are vibrams, they have been worth every cent for me, go try a pair on they are suprisingly comfortable.

    Sunny: thanks:)

    Chow and Chatter: Thanks for the support Rebecca xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great! I really like your scarf.

    Your goals are super. That's what I like about healthy living: it's ALWAYS a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look awesome - the outfit is great! I hope the competition went well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy reading your blog. Please make a new post, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did your new posts go? Miss ur insights, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete